Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Wild about Wiki aka Week 7 #16

I can see myself using this one in both personal and professional capacities.

Looking at the Library aspects. The point about Library Catalogues using Amazon style reviews inserted by readers is just great. I regularly use Amazon, when taking requests, or just for checking what the comments on a book I'm interested is, so I'm all for it.

As far as inviting community input and links, once again given the move towards LBC 'Libaries Building Communities' It seems tailor made for it, by not utilizing it we may well risk LBC becoming just another report which sits on shelves, with the occasional catchcry of 'LBC that seemed like a good idea, whatever happened to it?' NB. I know that in reality this would be just one strand of several in implementing it, but you get my point.

I also like the idea of using it as 'station' for things which need to be updated like say Policy and Proccedure Manuals 'Hint, Hint'.

It was also interesting to see that some Libraries are starting to utilize games in their programs and thinking outside the box and holding tournaments. http://www.libraryforlife.org/subjectguides/index.php/Games

http://libsuccess.org/index.php?title=Services_for_Teens

We've been making a lot of noise in recent years about how teenage males tend to treat libraries as anathema. Surely this is one way of getting them in. Recreation often gets looked down on as a poor second cousin to the other core Library roles; information and self education. But surely if we're all about communities embracing Libraries that shouldn't be the case. If you think having fun in Libraries is a waste of time and resources, then you need to stop and rethink.

Lastly I can also see myself getting into wiki in one of my other hats, by setting up a page for our local church. We're slowly embracing the web and this would be yet another interconnected string to existing static webpages, or more interactive ones like myspace.

No comments: