Thursday, October 11, 2007

Library Thing You make my Heart Sing aka Week 5 #11



Library Thing I think I love You!

To think I recently spent several months catalouging my own Tolkien Collection from scratch on Microsoft Access when I could have done it all here and not even have to hunt for the images.

Ok I know I already said I'm finding Libraries 2.0 a great learning exercise, but here's where the rubber's really hit the road. In terms of a worldwide on line database which anyone with an internet capable pc and a general level of literacy can easily access. Its not beyond the range of possibility to evisage a truly world wide record of books in existence. Both those held in public libraries and by definition those held privately. It might sound like a cliche to say this, but it is indeed an exciting time to be alive, and I can't wait to see what Libraries 3.0 might entail. Dare we imagine!

PS Forget about adding 5 I'll be coming back and sticking the lot on. But for now I've stuck several of my favourites and 5 from my Tolkien Collection.

PPS I'm also adding this site to my feeds.

PPPS As setting up the Library Thing Profile also involved saying something about your Library. I took it literally and babbled on about the wonderful library where I work. What makes it so wonderful I hear you ask? Well there's my incredibly fantastic co workers, without whom it would be so much harder to get up in the morning. I won't embarass them by naming names, but you all know who you are. Then there's the wonderful public without whom we'd be out of a job. Now this is not just a matter of opinion. You see we recently won the local community award for the second year in a row, and to top it off we took out the top gong on the night as well. So this is probably the appropriate place to post a few pics from the awards night and one which was from the Stonnington Leader the following day, about which I have to say, the sap (and I can say that, 'cause its me) in the photo holding the award is simply one member of the very deserving team and is just there because the angle of the shot precluded some of our more appropriate female staff from having to pose. Think about it. The group shot is promised in next weeks paper, so stay tuned.

No comments: